Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Breb Village walk

    October 9, 2023 in Romania ⋅ ⛅ 0 °C

    With a frosty start we have a 2 hour walk around the small village. We walk along the pebbly roads, up people's garden paths, through the fields. We have 2 dogs follow us for a while, chat to a couple of cats and throw some grapes🍇 to some chooks.

    This village is typical of the Maramures area with their wooden houses and carved wooden gates, farm plots and vege gardens. There is the odd European house but since Prince Charles, now King, bought an old wooden house, people decided that their traditions might actually be worth keeping.
    There is an Australian couple living here, there used to be two couples named Long and Short!
    We visit 2 locals in their houses, see following pages for Vasile and Maria.
    We bump into another Vasile who was the village stonemason until fairly recently. He was picking his purple grapes for wine. He gave us some bunches to eat, very tasty. There was also a lady with a basket collecting fallen walnuts. She also brought Vasile something to eat I think.

    Tourism has come to Breb, thanks to local guides and some houses had stalls selling goods. There was a saucepan man following us for a bit.
    A young girl wanted to sell me a bracelet. Turns out Veronica's mother made me one and had it on the breakfast table for me.

    This village walk talking to the locals was a major highlight.
    Read more