Satellite
  • Day 294

    Neurum Creek Bush Retreat

    March 14, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We travelled inland to a Campsite in the D'Aguilar National Park. The site is in rich farmland with cattle and livestock the main activity. After setting up we visited Woodford to stock up with provisions and fire wood as Jamie et al were coming to join us on Saturday.
    We kept a keen eye on the weather as the forecasts were for a period of consistent rainfall over our projected stay at this location. The area has been under drought conditions and the creek was little more than a trickle on the day we arrived. Weather forecasting here is a bit hap hazard as the winds coming from the east don't always behave as expected. On our first night there was thunder and lightning all around us but no rain in our valley. The second day, however, was different. In anticipation of some rain we had put the front of the awning in place to give us some screening. After a few spits the sky grew dark very quickly and we were treated to a full blown tropical storm, so violent that the Brisbane airport was closed and all trains in the Brisbane area were shut down. The rain lasted for hours after which everything surrounding us was swimming in water, the creek soon became full with rushing water from the hills surrounding. Our new tent held up quite well in the circumstances, however water did get into the awning.
    The temperatures before the storm were consistently in the mid to high thirties, and at least the storm reduced these to a more tolerable level.
    We share the site with wild life - wallabies are present, fruit bat abound in the evening, kookaburra chatter in the trees around us and cheekily sit on our chairs next to us. Bush turkeys are rife and constantly scouring for food bits in the camping area, and this morning we were visited by a Guana which took a lazy interest in our activity. As I write this two kookaburra are fornicating on a fence post eight feet from us. Camera not to hand,
    On Saturday after a rainy start the sun came out and we were able to host Jamie's family who joined us in the aternoon. We had a bbq on an open camp fire the girls enjoyed toasting the marsh mallows
    Read more