Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 352

    Pitlochry

    May 11, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    We spent a couple of nights here on our way up to meet Jo and Syd in Inverness prior to doing the North Coast 500. We set off bright and early from Berwick (bright and early for us that is). A worrying red light appeared on the dashboard which caused us to stop on the outskirts of Edinburgh to review the handbook. Probably a little problem with the fuel injection which could wait until we got to a Fiat dealership.
    The countryside got more and more stunning as we travelled further north and the valley in which Ptilochry is located is fabulous.
    We cycled into Pitlochry from the site which is a nice village full of woollen mill shops, outdoor pursuits stores, cafes and restaurants and with an interesting hydro electric dam and visitor centre. There were no salmon in the fish ladder next to the dam as it is probably a tad too early in the season.
    We then cycled to the Queen's View where Q. Victoria apparently was taken to have a look see in 1866. We very nearly got there too but Karen' gears stuck and the hill was never ending - first time on a bike for 5 months so we decided to turn back before too much fatigue set in. Turns out it was a big mistake the viewing point was only another 300 metres (uphill) round a couple of bends ( we know this because we visited the following morning on our way out of Pitlochry) and it is well worth a visit. It was very peaceful then two American F16s thundered down the valley. Schiehallion in the distance looked to be an inviting climb - one for another visit - with snow on the summit.
    Read more