Satellite
  • Day 470

    Taunton

    September 6, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We spent two nights on a site quite close to the centre of Taunton. The site was on a cider farm, and we stayed amongst the apple trees in the orchards.
    We walked along the Taunton to Bridgwater canal into Taunton, which is the county town of Somerset, and passed the cricket ground wonderfully placed in the heart of the town.
    We liked the town which we saw in sunshine and had a wander through the high street. There seemed to have been some competition in the local church community at one time to see who could build the biggest bell tower, and they all seemed to have used the same architect.
    Free apples were available from the common on our return to the site which K did not miss the chance of.
    We cycled 13 miles along the canal to Bridgwater the following day. The canal was very quiet and is not busy with narrow boats. It was very quiet along the whole route apart from a few canoes and hired rowing boats. The peace was shattered at the end of the ride due to engineering works over the canal.
    Bridgwater is a town of two halves, an older part with some nice building on one side of the bridge and supermarkets etc on the other. Brambles were hanging off the canal side blackberry bushes so Jamie, Renee et al are in for an apple and blackberry crumble treat when we see them at the end of next week.
    Read more