Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 523

    Rhossili

    October 29, 2019 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We drove over to the end of the peninsula to Rhossili. We had been here before in 2008, when we enjoyed a continous soaking in torrential rain. We were able to linger for much longer here this time and parked up in the NT car park on the headland.
    Wrapping up again with warm gear we set off to walk down to The Worms Head, accessible by causeway over mid day due to the low tide.
    The causeway takes you over exposed rock formations to the island where there are great views of the head and Rhossili beach. The tide was turning so we returned for lunch at he van. In the afternoon we walked along the beach then returned by a section of the Welsh Coastal Path which runs at a higher level above the beach under the high hills. We found this to be a very special place and a magnificent unspoilt beach location. We returned to our site from the headland in darkness which made for an interesting trip through the narrow country lanes when we missed our main road turning.

    We have just read on the BBC internet news that a British man from Southampton had his foot eaten by a shark whilst he was snorkeling at Hook Passage in the Whitsunday Islands. This is the precise spot where we swam on our trip there earlier this year in March. Thankfully there was a paramedic from Sweden on board who managed to stop him bleeding out.
    Read more