Satellite
  • Day 637

    Sydney

    February 20, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    On Thursday we returned to the city centre, as we had booked a visit around the Opera House, after which we walked over to the fish market for our lunch. A most enjoyable morning - the opera house is holding up well and is well maintained. It is undergoing a further refurbishment in the main concert hall ready for its 50th anniversary in a couple of years time. We got to see a couple of the smaller theatres and concert halls and the Joan Sutherland Hall. A structural engineer's delight throughout and a tribute to my old employer Sir Ove Arup.
    We were not disappointed with our fish dinner and returned to the site after walking through the Queen Victoria Building on George Street - this is now host to boutique shopping on 4 levels and holds a letter from ER which is to be opened in 2085.
    On Friday we had a bit of a rest day - we took a walk in the adjacent National Park and shared a coffee with Bronwyn and Frank before lunch after which we enjoyed some quiet by the pool. The National Park trails by the river were predominantly shut whilst Rangers sorted out storm damage, but we got a good feel for this nature reserve in the middle of the city. Maybe next visit we will be able to walk the 17k down to the harbour through the park.
    Read more