Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,120

    Muker

    June 17, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We had read about a short walk along the valley which took us up to the East Stonesdale waterfall returning via an old derelict house which used to serve the tin mines in the area.
    The path took us right up onto the high ground above Muker where we joined the Pennine Way, we had great views along and across the valley.
    The walking at the top was difficult for about a mile or two as we passed over very rocky ground, it was slow going but well worth it. We enjoyed our picnic on a grassy bank before dropping into the valley only to face climbing again to reach the old house "Crackpot Hall"which was on a site on high ground with a magnificent view of the valley. The Hall has fallen into disrepair after it was abandoned in the 1950s due to subsidence caused by the lead mines.
    It was another hot and sunny day, so we fell into the Farmers Arms in the village for a couple of refreshers.
    We were welcomed in to the pub by a lady who advised that she was a neighbour of the Owen family in Ravenseat - she had to shoot off to meet her chidren off the school bus that would also be delivering the larger part of the Owen family. It turns out that she is the game keeper's wife and they live in the cottage next to the Owen family.
    I had a pint of Farmers Ewe pronounced Yow in these parts which was very refreshing.
    Read more