Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,180

    Mablethorpe

    August 16, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Moving northwards we decided to spend three nights on the coast in Lincolnshire, so we booked a pitch at the Ivy Dene site in Mablethorpe - a short hop to the beach. On our way we stopped off for a quick look at Skegness which was everything we expected it to be. Skeggie is a brash Victorian seaside town, and when we got there in early afternoon it was rammed with holidaymakers. K spent some time in the amusements whilst I enjoyed a fabulous ice cream and had a quick look at the beach front. You get to the beach via the numerous amusement arcades (mossies), boating lakes and pubs, all very busy.
    Two hours was enough for us and we escaped to what we though would be a more gentle resort of Mablethorpe just up the coast a little way.
    Passing along the coast road tucked in behind the beach dunes etc we passed mile after mile of static caravan sites, Butlins holiday resort, more amusement parks and caravans etc..
    Mablethorpe proved to be the poor relation to Skeggie and had a very high fat and tattoo quotient. The NHS would do well to use it as a resource centre for the study of obesity related health issues. Is there anything more beguiling than a fat bird whose legs are so fat she cannot get her knees together and whose tatts have stretched beyond recognition? There was also an inordinate number of mobility scooters for the size of the town. It is a shame - the beach is lovely and the market on Friday, albeit small, was worth a visit.
    The whole area was littered with shops selling the most unimaginable tat.
    We walked along the promenade to Sutton on Sea one day where we came across a rather eccentric gentleman who approached us in his automated wheel chair in full Riddler uniform, complete with purple hat and floral green shoes. He advised us that he was a great batman fan and had a different outfit for every day of the week.
    The following day we cycled along the promenade and on the C roads behind the dunes to Chapel St Leonard where we flopped on the beach in the sunshine reading our books for a while. K stripped the mossies of two sherbet poppers and a couple of other bits of tat which she found most enjoyable - total value of the prizes about 0.05p.
    Brilliant, as awful as we found it, we had a good time.
    We have escaped to South Yorkshire via the splendid Humber Bridge.
    Read more