Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,461

    Marlborough

    May 24, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    A travelling day.
    We moved over to a site at Bayardo Farm in the countryside to the south west of Marlborough. On our way we stopped off at our Storage container to drop of some unrequired stuff from the van and to pick up our bikes. We have a knack of accumulating books wherever we go, and the cupboard in our van was overflowing, so we packed 2 boxes of them into the container. Hopefully we will soon be unpacking the container into our new abode and we will be reunited with all the books along with everything else.
    On Tuesday we donned our walking boots and took a walk into the adjacent West Woods which were very green.
    On Wednesday we cycled through the woods to Avebury where we had a walk around the ancient stone circle followed by a quick drink at the local pub prior to returning via the Long Barrow at West Kennet. Everywhere was very busy, and we joined many others walking through the beautiful countryside in glorious sunshine. The ride through the woods was difficult so we returned on the country lanes to our site. The trip may have been a bit ambitious in terms of Karen's return to full fitness. The whinge quotient from one of our party increased dramatically on the final run up to our site, and within half a mile of Bayardo Farm, K collapsed by the road side for a rest.
    Thankfully a local gentleman on leaving his house to go on a local journey took pity on Karen's plight and immediately offered to take her and her bike back to the van.
    Thursday was a rest day followed by Friday where we cycled into Marlborough for a look around the town after a short walk through the fields to look at the panorama.
    This was the Jubilee weekend and the town had had a big street party in the centre on Thursday. We relieved the charity ships of some of their books and K enjoyed rummaging through the "designer" clothes whist A enjoyed a coffee at Coffee I.
    Prior to leaving we stopped off at the Royal Oak where A enjoyed a pint of "Eyup" from a Chesterfield micro brewery.
    On Saturday we returned on our bikes to Marlborough to get the Saturday newspaper, thereafter we enjoyed a lazy afternoon in the van.
    Read more