Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2,128

    Trondheim

    March 21 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    After another very peaceful night, where we were unaware of the ship having docked at the other ports on the journey north, we arrived in Trondheim not long after another very satisfying breakfast. We are enjoying the variety on each menu, with Karen in particular enjoying the variety of fish - herring and smoked salmon for breakfast, and salted cod as part of a lunch spread.
    As we approached the city, one of the Havila ships was just leaving its berth. We were out on deck as they approached. Suddenly, our ship's fog horn shattered the silence. It was quite a shock.

    We had three hours to look around the city, which we did on foot. We visited the Royal Family Trondheim residence (Stiftsgarden, inhabited by King Harald and Queen Sonja whenever they visit Trondheim). As we walked through the town square, we saw the monument to Trondheim's founder (the Viking king Olav Trggvason) - mounted on an 18-metre high obelisk. Next stop the Nidaros cathedral and Bishops Palace, followed by the old town bridge (often referred to as Lykkens Portal, meaning gate of happiness)
    We wandered through the old town (Bakklandet) behind the warehouses on the fjiord, which was very quaint. Beautiful brightly coloured wooden houses lined each street.
    We reboarded the boat in time for a quick G and T before lunch.
    After lunch, the boat hugged the coastline, taking us through to nightfall past quaint inlets and seaside communities. During the afternoon, we attended the information briefing in the conference hall on deck 6. The presentation given was quite haphazard and amusing at times. It gave a very brief history of Norway, starting with the Ice Age, then detailing the Vikings in Norway and through to present day time. All completed in under 40 minutes!!
    Leaving Trondheim the overnight stops were Rorvik, Bronnoysund, Sandnessjoen and Nesna.
    Read more