Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7–8

    Freiburg im Breisgau

    October 26, 2023 in Germany

    Well, we've made it to Nurburg, but that's for another post! Beth and I spent Thursday and Friday in Freiburg im Breisgau. In the heart of the Black Forest, this is a delightful city. In contrast to the gritty feel of Frankfurt, at least where we were, F'burg is the quintessential European town city. The streets are filled with bicyclists and pedestrians of all ages. The hotel we are in (and the one in Frankfurt too) we're what I'd call IKEA modern, small, but very comfortable.

    There are no supermarkets, and every food store has delicious breads of all types, freshly sliced meats and cheeses, and truly beautiful fruits and vegetables. And all for very reasonable prices. Nary a slice of Wonderbread to be seen. This is because I think supermarkets didn't take hold here and the old markets remained. Of course we can again get these foods at Marianos or Whole Foods but have to pay $$$.

    It was rainy both days, mostly drizzle, and in the 50s but we were dressed for it. Felt a lot like Seattle. Walked the town market which is held midday Monday - Saturday year-round. Saw some churches, drank some, ate some.

    Enjoy the pics. Freiburg bächle are channels with clean flowing water from the hills above. Kids come to float boats in them, and adults chill wine and water houses plants in them.
    Read more