Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4: Figueres - hometown of Dali

    August 9, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Today is all about Salvador Dali! We took a small group tour (just us and a lovely family) with a knowledgeable guide, who drove 2 hours away from Barcelona to Figueres, hometown of Salvador Dali.

    Dali has been one of my favorite artists, along with Picasso and Rodin. Years ago we went to Rodin museum in Paris and loved it. I am so glad I had the chance to learn so much about Dali today.

    Dali museum was our first stop. It’s rare for an artist to design their own museum, but Dali not only did that, but lived in the museum towards the end of his life, and finally buried in this museum. Throughout the museum, you can really peak into his mind, and discover it’s craziness and beauty. Touring his living space was kind of neat as well!

    Dali was madly in love with his wife Gala, to the extend that he bought a castle for her! The Gala castle was our second stop. As Dali’s muse, you can see Gala’s face in many of his pieces, even more so in her castle. Gala however told her husband not to come to her castle unless he received a written invitation, meanwhile took many young, handsome lovers. Dali still maintained his deep love for her to the end.

    However, Gala is buried in the castle, Dali chose to be buried in his museum.

    Our tour ended on a lovely beach of Mediterranean sea. Some cold beer for Steve and ice cream for me on a hot day was so perfect!

    Our dinner was at a restaurant specializing food on toothpicks. A smaller form of tapa dishes. The food was delicious!!
    Read more