Satellite
  • Day 12

    Okayama Korakuen & U-jo Castle

    May 8, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today was mainly a travel day. Met up with a friend at the station and went for lunch and then a coffee in a traditional coffee shop. It was great and I really enjoyed both the food and the company. All too soon though it was time to get back on the road.

    I intended to go back east to Hamamatsu and catch an overnight train to Matsue but I changed my plans at the last minute when I could not get a private berth on the sleeper. Instead I caught the Shinkansen to Okayama.

    My luck was in as on arrival I discovered it was the last evening that Okayama Castle and the Korakuen Gardens would be illuminated. There was also a free shuttle from my hotel which was great. Travel here in Japan is just so smooth and efficient; everything on time and working like clockwork and everything super convenient. I love it! :-)

    The illuminations where great but I'm not sure my photos do it justice. I'm still learning how to do good night photography and you really had to be there to appreciate it especially the 'projection mapping' on some of the buildings.

    Got the shuttle back to the hotel at 10pm and had a luxurious soak in the tub before getting a good night's sleep in a proper bed. I can cope with futon on tatami for a couple of nights but nothing beats a raised bed and chairs especially given my size. I often think the Japanese are so fit because they spend thier life getting up and down off the floor all day. :-)
    Read more