Satellite
  • Day 26

    Brussels

    June 29, 2018 in Belgium ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Well, just as I was thinking everything had gone so smoothly and as planned... I had even avoided France due to planned industrial action on the railways (apart from passing through Gare du Nord to Gare du Lyon at the start of my trip). I awoke however to hear of a strike affecting most of the trains in Belgium. Luxembourg Station was in great confusion as train after train to Brussels was cancelled. Eventually I took the bull by the horns and managed to get a bus there. The indignity of it all - a First Class Inter Rail Pass Holder having to go by bus! In fairness, it was a clean, comfortable luxury coach, and it made it up the motorway in 3 hours - the same time as the train would have taken.

    I had decided to check in at the new Radisson Red Hotel in Brussels for my last night. It was a good choice, right next to Brussels-Luxembourg Station, with a lovely big comfortable bed. I see they now have one in Glasgow and can recommend it - a bit trendy and pop-arty but very friendly.

    Had a walk round the magnificent Grand Place - packed with folk eating frites and mayonnaise, waffles with a variety of toppings, Belgian chocolates and drinking beer. I didn’t want to offend by not joining in. A visit to the Mannekin Pis statue was a must - what a lot of fuss over a tiny wee statue of a boy peeing. Clearly there was no sign saying ‘Pee not here’.

    Well, let’s hope the Belgian train strike does not affect Eurostar tomorrow or I’m really stuck!
    Read more