Satellite
  • Day 15

    Barry

    February 11, 2018 in Wales ⋅ 🌙 3 °C

    Hike 1
    By Tomos Watkins and Maya Williams

    While spending your Saturday morning hiking through the wet and windy wilderness may not be everyone’s idea of fun but it is for scouts. We arrived at the (not so) reasonable time of 9a.m. in the carpark of Asda. This benefitted most as it gave them the chance to go and buy as much chocolate and sweets as they could carry. Once this was done we set off. Quickly getting off the beaten track we met the first obstacle. A steep grassy hill. This of course would normally be no problem but due to the non-stop rain for the last day had turned the normal walk into a slippery slide which made things difficult. Though enjoyable for onlookers it was easier for some than others. Hiking Boots and waterproofs were ideal however some went for the fashionable and modern look coming equipped with trainers and leggings. Obstacle two was easier however Dafydd, always up for a challenge decided to make things harder by carrying 4 cinder blocks he found while walking over the beach. After walking through the caravan park and Dafydd’s make shift bag finally gave in as a block landed millimeters from his toes. He decided to ditch them. Jack later found a Frisbee which was greatly enjoyed. Amy and Jack enjoyed passing the Frisbee back and forth. I did not enjoy however as Joe’s dog Cooper was under my control. He was normally well behaved however he could not contain himself any longer and tried to get to the Frisbee almost pulling me into the mud. This then set off a chain of events that meant Amy’s high fashion jeans had an unfortunate rip. On the way back we took a detour through Porthkerry Park. Not wanting the adventure to be too easy Dafydd showed off his adventurous side again by shimmying across a pipe over the river instead of the simple and boring bridge. Still smiling the unit made it to the end of Joe’s hike which they managed to complete twice with still an hour to spare.

    With this spare time, we decided to go for a day at the beach. After a short walk, we split up for some free time. Tom had been dared to go for a swim. Not being one to disappoint he went onto the beach and went swimming much to the laughter of the unit members, leaders and general public. After that it was time to meet back up and head back to Asda for our parents to try to find which wet and tired young person was theirs. When it was all said and done we all thoroughly enjoyed the hike.

    Thanks for reading our write up of our first hike. Stay Tuned for more write ups of our adventures leading up to and including the 24th World Scout Jamboree. You can follow our progress on Twitter and Instagram

    Twitter @DreigiaurMynydd
    Instagram @themountaindragonswsj
    Read more