Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Mother's Day Cafe

    March 14, 2018 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    By Tomos Watkins and Maya Williams

    Our evening started congregated at Cardiff Met, Cyncoed.  All excited for the events coming up in the next 24 hours and to see each other once again.  Of course, the standing around didn’t last long as the leaders sent us out into the rain for a Photo Hunt Challenge.  The challenge would test our skills that would be essential for a Jamboree, initiative, sense of direction and teamwork.

    Once out of Cardiff Met, most groups made their way to Roath Park which was unfortunately closed as it was late.  Instead, they made their way down to the shopping district to discover Joe’s Ice Cream Parlour was shut, to their disappointment.  

    Some people made a quick stop at the local Tesco’s to stock up on essentials for the evening, even stopping and giving some of our food to a homeless man.  Exhausted, finally at the Scout Hall for the evening, we chilled out ahead of our busy day, a championship of Mario Kart ensued, with each race getting closer and closer before Harrison won.

    At 8 am we awoke to pancakes cooked by the Leaders with the help of Tom & Amy.  A debate was started when Tom and Jimmy couldn’t decide whether a smooth batter or a lumpy batter was best.  After a well-cooked breakfast, we split up into teams to help work out what was needed to be done for the day.  

    The kitchen team were responsible for making sandwiches and cutting cake.   The table and chairs team were responsible for navigating the lock up and setting up the tables.  And finally, the plates team setting the tables with table cloths, flowers and cutlery, we all did our bit to pack away as quickly as possible.

    The Afternoon Tea started slowly, with only a couple tables filled, but after a slow start, customers started to come flooding in, with us even having to assemble several other tables.  Our customers really did enjoy themselves, when speaking to Zoe who had come along with her Nan, she said “My nans having a lovely time, and so am I”.

    Everyone really did seem to enjoy themselves and that was a great feeling for us.  We want people to enjoy our events as much as we do!

    With business booming, we started to become comfortable with our roles as waiting staff.  The day went off without a hitch, with one parent passing comment on leaving “A very well done, we have been looked after well & everything’s been delicious”.

    After our amazing afternoon we cleaned up the hall and thanked the leaders for an eventful and fun filled camp which we hope there will be more to come!
    Read more