Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 9. Foz Coa.

    August 16, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This morning we made a change to our itinerary, cancelling our proposed 5 day walk from Fidenza, over the Passa della Cisa to Pontremoli. Instead we have booked an apartment in Pissoia, giving Shirl,s arm more time to heal before the Via Francesco.
    We discovered that yesterday was Assumption day( Public Holiday) in Portugal perhaps explaining lack of interest by the Tourist and Hostel Staff.
    Shirl discovered a walking trail to the Museum 4 kms away. Newly sign posted it was easy to follow. The countryside reminds us of Port Augusta. We came across a shepherd and his flock of sheep blocking the road. He invited us to walk through them which we did with trepidation. No problems. I thank him and we went on our way with the flock following us.
    We were surprised on arrival at the museum to be told that there were spaces available on the afternoon's tour. Then disappointed when told the starting point was 14 kms away and we needed to make our own way there. We settled for a tour of the museum. Very informative. The artists scribed over the work of other previous ones, making it sometimes difficult to see the images.
    We discovered why I had no response when trying to book a tour. All spots taken by tour groups.
    The predicted temp today was 36degs, so perhaps a blessing we didn't go.
    We left to return to the town and came across a group of young boys and their guardian who told us that a free tourist train operated 3 times each morning to correspond to the tours. We jumped at the offer of a free ride to town. The guardian tried to arrange a private guide but all slots were full.
    A good lunch then we returned to escape the afternoon heat.
    Evening saw us having a drink at the Sunset Bar before walking into town and enjoying the relative coolness of the evening breeze.
    Shirl has suggested that she carries her own rucksack tomorrow to relieve the pressure on me. We'll give it a go.
    Read more