Satellite
  • Day 84

    Van Life: North of Lisbon

    May 10, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    After an epic south coast trip and 20 + beach stops, we headed north of Lisbon for 📍 Beleal & Peniche, home to one of the best breaks in Europe…SUPERTUBOS (lol). 🤙🏼 You can only imagine Dan’s excitement levels…

    Peniche itself isn’t much to write home about and it was super windy meaning our beloved Supertubos was blown out… sad Dan.

    It was busy in town so we headed up the coast a bit to find a secluded spot on the cliffs at📍 Praia da Almagreira. 👌🏼 We woke to amazing waves there…happy Dan! Too big for me so a beach run and my book were on the menu…

    We explored 📍 Beleal the next day which is a very cool wee spot. Good, fun surf and the beaches are lovely with little rock pools over on the island.

    Yummy seafood around too. After 7 days and nights of cooking all 3 meals in the van, we treated ourself to some sushi from Sushi Fish… so yummy! 😋

    Our last day with the van and I think we are just about ready for a hot shower! It was a big day…We stopped for a swim and a beer at 📍 Ericeira - an world heritage surf town with surf schools, camps, outlets everywhere, we wondered why Byron doesn’t have so much as the surf capital of Aus!

    A spot of inland touristing was then on the cards with 📍 Obidos - a walled medieval town with an epic castle. The local cherry liquor in a chocolate cup was a must here, along with the sardine shop!

    Finally, we stopped and parked up at 📍 Sintra - a misty magical little town with so much history perched up in the hills! Amazing road up to the Pena palace and Moorish castle. Snack at Piriquita II!

    Things we didn’t do but got recommended: walk around Colares, visit Adega Regional, eat at Restaurante Azenhas do Mar, see Cabo da Roca
    Read more