Satellite
  • Day 46

    At Sea, Atlantic Ocean

    April 30, 2019, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Sea days and More…

    It has taken 6 days at sea to reach Senegal ,so much to do and enjoy along the way. Very hot , very calm .
    Knitting has been very busy, to get the baby hats for Dakar . We managed 112 ,a fine effort ,as our numbers are diminished since Durban. One lady, today, completed a first hat, first time knitting anything, and she cried…she was so proud…! Great gathering of the Officers, to take pictures and say lovely things to us all. It’s been a humbling experience .We had an Anaesthesiologist ,Paediatrician, on board ,speak to us and tell us the reason the little hats are so important to the Prem babies ,as they cannot regulate their body temperature etc ,so they are not just for looks…!
    I do recall Raewyn, your patience ,teaching me to knit, pre marriage, the yellow jersey, WITH collar, and many mistakes…! We have been on the news in Australia now, and in the travel section of a newspaper there, this past week, maybe on Facebook as well in Viking Sun World Cruise..
    An Atrium concert from our Cruise Director Heather Clancy, a Mezzo Soprano ,toured the world apparently…very good , a huge crowd, but slightly over our heads really, not pretending to love an Aria that went for 10 minutes, but recognising huge talent.
    Enjoying friends along the way, Alwyne and Steven Reding from Melbourne, their son is Adam, Cetrece, [ at the Austin..] Kidney Specialist. The Sam Cain Grandparents, report he is back in action, maybe just in training… Our nice Canadians ,Beth and Dave ,from Vancouver Is, sharing books with Sam . Last night we spent time with Don, from Auckland ,who is profoundly deaf, and cannot speak much, so in a quiet spot, we wrote much, he was so excited to communicate, told us, as you thought Thelma, as a little boy of 5 at Sumner School for the Deaf, he cried every night, to go home. He is fragile at 87, so needs a walking stick, and showing us his wounds, I said a walking stick Don, would be so helpful,[ he hangs on to the walls and things,] Yes he said ,it might be good, I will get my Father’s when I get back home…! Months away, he is going on to a Princess Cruise, in London.!!! Many nice acquaintances , along the way.. Our crew ,who are so our good friends, too.
    In Dakar our Officers and some crew, took a huge collection of clothing and toiletries to an Orphanage ,this had been gathered by the Crew, also our Baby Hats, they have tiny babies, whose Mothers have died in Childbirth, many, so sad to see these tiny souls.! Many other children also, well cared for, and so excited to receive the chocolate from Easter ,and all the goodies ,and just to be picked up and hugged by some of our Officers, the pictures shown to us pre Show, in the evening, were pure joy…and Heather cried, telling us the days events…This Ship and Viking Ocean ,spreads its Hygge where ever we go. Very proud.
    Yesterday I went to Cooking School ,oh my goodness, what a delight ! So professionally done, great recipes, we made the food, 12 of us, in a beautiful kitchen, The Chefs Table… The Exec Chef, teaching, a dear man from Bali, who had a long way to get where he is, also helped his siblings ,who are all successful, his Mother his driving force.. Most participants had been to every class, some for months ,so last time he told his story…
    Some tricks were just so simple, cooking rice, Saffron ,but method, so easy, we chopped and sautéed ,cooked ,then had a delicious meal ,Cream of Parsnip Soup, divine, Coquinas, a paella like mix, with lobster and prawns ,cockles ,so very good, and Bolas De Anis, like little doughnut buns, with a crème filling ,flavoured with aniseed ,sat upon Caramel, home made, Chocolate drizzled ,sprinkled with Pasticcio’s. Chef plated it all ,then we ate, had wine and cocktails, a special one with passionfruit…AND we got to keep the apron. ! It was 3 hours, not expensive ,and I loved it.!!!
    Yesterday at lunch we had hundreds of little dolphins beside us ,jumping and playing ,also 2 whales spouting near us…
    There is lots of illness aboard, warning about hand-washing etc, coughing is very evident… We are on red alert for those , cannot afford to be ill for the UK…! Not many days away , but still 3 lovely places to visit.
    Had my hair done today ,Ivana ,who cut my hair earlier, I would love to see again, she is great…!
    Hope all is well, love from us, nearing Tenerife ,The Canary Islands.
    Have sent more cards Mum, not easy to find in Africa..!
    Read more