Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    US Air Force Thunderbirds

    September 20, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 93 °F

    Nellis AFB is home to the Thunderbird fighter jets. While looking for the carwash, we happened to stumble acrostic the Thunderbird Museum and went inside. The fighter jets are taking off and landing throughout the day and evening, and the sound they produce is loud like a continuous sonic boom. We learned that the jets can travel at more than 1500 mph. The Thunderbird pilots have their own designated parking spaces.

    We arrived to the campground on base just before closing, checked in, and went straight to the showers. After getting hooked up at our campsite, we sat outside in our lounge chairs and had a beer while watching the fighter jets and Blackhawks fly over us.

    6 o'clock pm rolls around on a military base, the Retreat is sounded. Over an intercom can be heard for a 1 mile radius, a trumpet playing, followed by an organ version of the Star Spangled Banner. Wherever you are on base, the protocol is to stand and salute or place your hand over your heart while the Retreat sounds. We stood and Doug held his salute stance for the next two minutes throughout the Retreat.

    I cooked chicken Curry for dinner and we opened the wine. At 9 pm as we were falling asleep, we heard a trumpet playing Taps.

    Day is done, gone the sun,
    From the hills, from the lake, from the skies.
    All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

    Go to sleep, peaceful sleep, may the soldier
    or sailor, God keep. On the land or the deep, Safe in sleep.

    Love, good night, must thou go,
    when the day, and the night need thee so?
    All is well. Speedeth all To their rest.

    Fades the light;
    And afar Goeth day,
    And the stars Shineth bright,
    Fare thee well;
    Day has gone, night is on.

    Thanks and praise, for our days,
    'Neath the sun, Neath the stars, 'Neath the sky,
    As we go, this we know, God is nigh.
    Read more