Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 4 Biblelands tour

    September 17, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Day 4 started with a trip to Gamla in the Golan Heights ( An interesting day to be driving through this area on Israel's Election Day today given the struggle for control over this area of the state of Israel throughout history as evidenced in driving past active mine sites, tank training bases, bunkers, and abandoned Syrian army bases and bombed buildings from the 1967 and Yom Kippur wars.. even a bunch of active tanks we sneakily photographed from the bus)
    Gamla was a fortified City so named because it looked like a camel.. Almost inaccessible due to the topography. Josephus reports that it was conquered on the second attempt by the Roman legions who slaughtered 4000 of the Jews taking refuge there. The remaining 5000 jumped to their death from the tower. A very hot walk down the hill and back up into Gamla but well worth it for the view (and the bragging rights)
    Lunch at El Rom Kibbutz and watched a movie about the part of the Yom Kippur war that was fought here in 1973, the reason for the area being renamed Valley of Tears
    Banias(or Panias) also known as Caesarea Philippi in Dan..a centre of pagan worship..where Jesus said to Peter 'Who do you say that I am?'. Peter's reply (Matt 16) 'You are the Christ, the son of the living God' Another surreal moment.
    Nimrods Castle a crusader fortress built in 1228 to prevent the crusaders invading Damascus conquered in 1260.
    Read more