Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Pilgrim Reading

    October 3, 2019, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    I’ve actually only once listened to an audiobook. It was back in 1999 when we drove, with the kids and our Coleman camper, to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The book was called the Railway Children. I do listen to some regular podcasts though, mostly outdoor related and some current affairs podcasts like the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast and an Ontario political one called Wag the Doug.
    Fast forward to the weeks before leaving for Portugal and Colleen and I decided that we’d each get an audiobook and during the day, perhaps when the going was tough or we knew there was a longer stretch of walking ahead that we’d walk silently and listen to our books.
    I stumbled on The Stranger In the Woods, while searching my library’s free downloadable offerings. It’s a biography about a man named Christopher Knight who lived as a hermit in the Maine woods for over 25 years, which I highly recommend! There are many parallels between those who choose to live in seclusion and Pilgrims as well as Monks. The author describes how Knight was eventually caught after years of taking supplies from Maine lakeside cabins. Through face to face interviews, and letters, the author retells the history of this man’s life and his years holed up in the bush.
    I listened to the last half of the book on our delayed flight home and was able to listen right to the end. A Remarkable Book!
    Read more