Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    moeraki - Boulders and Fleur

    July 26, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We headed out from Oamaru away from SH1 down Beach Road, which hugged the Pacific coastline. In parts the road was diverted inland because the old road had been partly washed away as the cliffs were eroded.

    We had intended to stop for a coffee in Katanui, but the cafe opens at 10 and we were there about 9.35, so we pressd on to the Moeraki Boulders. We parked up and walked down to the beach. Our timing wasn't great as the tide was in and some of the bigger waves were only leaving a little bit of beach to walk on and many of the boulders were part submerged. We walked to the boulders and took some pictures, Ed climbing on top of the most recently uncovered one. They were certainly odd and looked like they must have been placed there by someone rather than being a natural phenomenon. Tash started to panic that we were going to get washed away (!) so her and Sam headed back to the steps whilst Ed and I did a bit more climbing before rejoining them and getting a coffee in the cafe. It looked quite a new building and suspect like in other places is a relatively recent addition to the natural tourist attraction. The gift shop had Fleur's Place cookery books and Ed bought one from his own holiday money. The lady behind the counter was called Glad and told us to say hello to Fleur for her and that Fleur would sign the book if we asked her. She explained that the boulders were embedded in the cliffs and were gradually revealed as the sea eroded the sandstone.

    We headed off to Moeraki about 10 minutes down the road. The weather was brilliant, about 18 degrees according to the car gauge. We drove up the hill to the Millennium memorial, put up in 2000. The view from the cliff top along the coastline was again spectacular. The kids had noticed a small playground in town so we went there for half an hour or so until it was close to our 12.30 booking.

    As promised, Fleur herself was in the restaurant and spent a while talking with us and signing Ed's book and poses for a photo. The restaurant is quite famous in New Zealand and Rick Stein is quoted as saying it is his favourite restaurant. It's a simple building right on the water edge and serves whatever fish has been caught by the local fisherman. Fleur suggested we had the tasting plate with one fillet of each of the 5 fish of the ay on it - Tarahiki, Blue Cod, Sea Perch, , sole and one other we can't remember. We could then couple this with a starter and that should do us, Tash went for scallops in bacon and leeks and a creamy sauce, Sam the same without the sauce, I had the chowder (with clams, scallops and mussels) and Ed had the leek and potato soup of the day. All were delicious and came with some great homemade bread, including one with a hint of curry flavour. The main dish was equally good, the fish very frech and you could taste the distinct flavours of each. The fillets and the accompanying vegetables O(including a sprout or two) were quickly eaten. Tash then had chocolate soufflé for desert with Ed having Tunisian Orange cake with ice cream and passion fruit yogurt. He actually only anted the ice cream so I had the rest.

    The bill was reasonable and we left happy and full. A qucikm few minutes in the playground then we headed for Katakiki Lighthouse where seals and penguins are often seen. Walking down to the hide was quite steep and proved fruitless for animal spotting, though nice rocky scenery. We moved along the coast tp Shag Point, again renowned fro seals and penguins - none of the latter but one seal proudly sitting on a rock was exciting to see. Then off to Dunedin - buildings very English looking. Got a warm welcome at the motel with lots of suggestions of where to go and see, we need to decide what to fit in before our wildlife tour tomorrow afternoon.
    Read more