Satellite
  • Day 3

    White Water Rafting

    July 29, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Woke up early again, about 6am, though only one wake up in the night about 3 when the train seems to come through Canmore each night! Used the morning to walk into Canmore via the Policeman's Creek Boardwalk, which followed a stream along into town. We needed some bite cream from a chemist, which we found and a strap to hold Sam's glasses on whilst rafting, which we didn't. Tash looked at some sunglasses in there but none took her fancy - her pair fell apart yesterday when she dropped them, need a new screw when we get home. Ed had spotted a juice bar so we went there - kids had large mango madness smoothies, two espressos for us.

    Lady in the chemist had said a sunglasses shop a block away would have the strap Sam needed so we headed there. The owner was very chatty and we discussed the local bears and bear safety and he recommended a couple of hikes around Banff (Johnston Canyon, which we had earmarked for tomorrow and Larch Valley. Also recommended the Tea Shop hikes at Lake Louise and the Little and Big Beehives). Meantime a strap was found by Sam and some sunglasses by Tash - initially Michael Kors, then Ray Bans, which were purchased with the promised birthday money from various folks.

    Bid farewell and headed to the Museum to find a toilet. Went into the museum which was small but interesting on mining history of Canmore, with some good interactive displays. Ed especially enjoyed the microscope for examining rock samples, but also good at looking at a splinter in his finger. Decided to get bread and meat from supermarket for lunch back in hotel before heading to rafting location. Walked back along the Boardwalk and ate and changed then headed off.

    About half hour drive got us to the Nakoda Lake Lodge where the home base of Chinook rafting was. We thought we were early but there were already a lot of people there (turned out in all there were 14 boats of 9 or 10 people each going out that afternoon). We checked in, filled in the waiver forms and then had to get our kit. An Aussie guy talked us all through it (how do you spell wetsuit, that's right there's no. P in it so please don't pee in ours) and we collected and headed to the car to change. Tasha's westsuit was too small so she got a bigger one. Ed's was long in the leg but fitted ok. First time I had ever worn a wetsuit, felt a bit weird, especially the boots. Helmets and life jackets were the last things then we boarded the old classic yellow school bus for the 20 minute drive to the starting point on the Kananaskis River. Our bus wasn't full so we had to wait for some latecomers. Gave a chance for one of the guides to tell a few jokes - best was what do you call.a bear with no ears? 'B'! During the journey we were briefed on helmets and life jackets. Life jackets had to be tight and when we got off the bus they were checked and pulled tighter - was almost difficult to breathe, but the reason became clear during the safety briefing when, if you fall overboard, youi're pulled back on by the shoulder straps of the life jacket. Various slightly scary demos were given of what to do if you fell overboard, boat capsized etc, though it was stressed that these were unlikely events on today's trip! The briefing was spiced up by various instructors carrying hemlenmts full of water up from the river and throwing them liver the crowd - our first taste of how cold the water was. We got our paddles, Ed being smaller didn't have one. He had an extra protective waterproof layer as smaller kids were down the front of the boat and liable to get wet.

    We were assigned a boat with a family of 6 from Sydney, with our Canadian instructor Lyndsey. Getting to the boat was a slight challenge down a fairly steep rocky slope, with mixed grip from the wetsuit boots. Had to help Sam and Ed down. We were assigned positions in the boat. The smaller Aussie kids right at the front, then their mum and da either side, then their older daughter and Tash either side second row, then me and their grandad third row, then Sam behind me. Ed sat in the middle second row next to Tash - no paddling needed from him which he was pleased about. We got a few instructions from the guide on what to do if she issued certain commands, then put them into practice in the launch area before hitting the first rapid. Got down it safely though with a huge wave of water coming over the top of us.

    We then steered to the side with the other boats and waited as each one tried to row back up the rapid and surf along the top of it. Our boat seized the moment and went for it and held the wave for longer than any of the others we saw. Our instructor seemed genuinely impressed with the coordinated rowing of the boat as we worked together. Further rapids followed with wierd names, all making us wet. The third one we went down with paddles raised to get a photograph of the boat, hopefully will b a good one there. Next wave was Santa's Beard, as that is what the water looks like, a white beard. We decided to go down it doing a. donut spin, which worked well and must have looked impressive to bystanders.

    The last rapids part of the course was through a canoe slalom area, with all the poles hanging down. We waited half way through it to let the boats of another company go past, then were off again. This was a theme throughout, that we waited at points to allow all the Chinook boats to assemble and stay together as a group. After the end of the slalom course we were through the main rapids for the day, but still got some splashes from waves and currents. We were all nervous before the start but all would happily have done more of the rapids (as long as they weren't too much bigger than the ones we did), so safe to say the trip was a success.At one point the river got very shallow and we had to paddle fast then bounce in the boat to keep it jumping across the rocks on the bottom - we kept it moving just. At various points there were battles with other boats, involving much splas=hing and pirate like cries Towards the end we could slide into the water and float next to the boat for a little bit. Tash and Ed decided to go fo it, soon realising that the water was freezing when submerged in it. I pulled them back in by the life jackets, not the most elegant of processes and the wetsuits did their jobs in warming them through quickly - good job it was a hot day. Just before the end there was a small waterfall into the river which our guide said was called Lyndsey Falls (at least it was every time her boat went past)

    The river got wider and flatter and we saw some of the geology of the area, where two plates meet . The river banks had layers of different rocks and at the fault line these met from opposite sides, with squashed rock in the middle at the fault line. The river we had been on was between two dams and these are only opened at this time of day and so can't be used for rafting at other times.

    At the end of the journey in the lake before the dam we had another chance to jump in and swim to shore. I slid in and went straight under (it was deeper than I expected) and the cold water reflex made me gasp and get a mouthful of water. I was choking and thought I was drowning, though I was only 2 yards from the shore! Wasn't pleasant and can see why people drown falling into cold water. Anyway managed to get out, then helped out Sam who was suffering similarly. Kids seemed fine. Wet suit boots filled with water, though it was quickly warmed by body heat leading to a strange sensation all the way back to home base on the bus, with warm, wet feet.

    We carried the boat out and lifted it up on th trailer then got back on the bus to head to base. A guide debriefed us on getting the kit off when we got back - he was very funny, notably saying thanks to us for coming as if we didn't they would all have to get proper jobs and they don't blend well into normal society!

    Getting the wetsuits off was easier than on and we got hot chocolates (welcome despite the hot day) and a biscuit. Bought the photo USB then headed back to hotel. Ended up collecting Domino's as no one fancied going out - it's fair to say that A and W's famous root beer didn't go down too well with us.
    Read more