Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Icefields Parkway South

    August 1, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Today was a day for driving what is one of the most scenic mountain routes in the world, the Icefields Parkway. It gets busy so we wanted to make a fairly early start and so were down for breakfast about 7.30. Tash braved the waffle making machine and it turned out ok, after a bit of help with turning it over to get the timer started. Was pretty sickly sweet to have for breakfast though and we only managed a bit of it.

    We got away about 8.15 and needed to fill up with petrol as there is none readily available on the parkway itself, which runs from Lake Louise to Jasper, about 268km. The Shell garage next to the hotel was open, but couldn't get the pumps to work until I realised I had to go inside first and leave my credit card with the attendant then pay at the end. The machine on the pump doesn't work with overseas credit cards, no idea why not. The attendant said that was the case for most pumps especially in smaller touristy towns. He was heading up the parkway later to see his brother in Jasper and confirmed it was a lovely drive.

    We hit Highway 1 for 40 minutes or so to just past Lake Louise where we turned onto Highway 93, the parkway. I had downloaded a sat nav guide from a company called Gypsy that gave descriptions of what you were driving past and tips on where to pull over. It proved interesting for the drive and will probably download others for later drives especially the big one across to Whistler.

    The first suggested pull off was Hector Lake, which on a calm day reflected the overlooking mountains perfectly. Lake was a bit rippley, but we took some pictures and used the toilets there.

    Next suggestion was Bow Lake - this was much more reflective and very picturesque (not that the whole drive wasn't with mountains and lakes and glaciers). More pictures here then we pulled into Jimmy Simpson Num Ti Jah lodge, thinking we might grab a coffee, but it was very busy so again we used the loos them carried on. Our guide had told us about Jimmy Simpson and how he had started tourism at the lodge, letting people stay who travelled in the days before the road - apparently one Christmas he hiked for 5 days to have lunch with another hermit further into the mountains, staying overnight then hiking back.

    Peyto Lakes was the next stop. From the car park it was about a 10 minute walk, quite uphill to the viewing point of the lakes, which was a brilliant blue colour due to the minerals (glacial flour) in it, ground up by the glacier. We were at the highest altitude of the drive here and the air was thinner making the walk to the view more of struggle than we expected. Was worth it though as the lake was a great colour and very stunning.

    We had a couple of pull ins by the side of the road to take pictures of great views and ate the food we had brought with us, as advised because there are few shops on the highway to buy provisions. Next stop was after driving round the Big Bend, which was a big looping bend to pull over and look at Bridal Veil Falls - a big tall waterfall on the other side of the valley - again spectacular.
    Read more