Satellite
  • Day 49

    Bus to Lake Titicaca

    June 24, 2015 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Anna was still feeling rough but we wanted to escape the polluted streets of La Paz so I went to the bus station after breakfast to get some tickets.

    We took the 2pm bus to Lake Titicaca (25B). We had to pay 2B tax to use the bus terminal - Bolivians do love a tax!

    The roads were a mix of bumpy, dirt roads and tarmac. The scenery was fairly boring green, hilly mountains until we reached the lake which was beautiful.

    After 3 hours we reached Tiquina Straits. We all got off the bus and paid 2B to go in a small boat across the short stretch of water. The bus went across on a tiny wooden barge, then we climbed back onboard for the rest of the journey.

    We arrived in Copacabana at 6pm and checked into Hotel Utama (210B).

    After a brief wander we went to a little Mexican restaurant decorated with fairy lights. The whole town had a short powercut mid-dinner which is apparently quite common. We had pineapple juices and shared a veggie burrito (70B) - again, missing a few spices but still nice.

    We have a heater in the room and carpets but it was still chilly!
    Read more