Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Day 27 - Yellowstone National Park

    June 11, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    This morning Stephen and Tony set off to whitewater raft the Yellowstone River. We could see them board their raft from our balcony. They said it was a fairly easy raft ride and returned safely to our waiting arms.

    We headed off to Lamar Valley about 2pm as we wanted to stay out late to see what animals we could see as dusk fell.

    We spotted the following animals;

    Ground squirrel - cute little thing just running through the little shrubs beside a walking track.

    Striped Beaver - scurring just off the side of the road spotted by Stephen while he was driving.

    Mousse - in amongst the trees on the side of the road. Very big animal.

    Grizzly Bear and 2 cubs - way up on a hill but definitely saw the cubs playing around mum with the help of Tony's binoculars.

    The good old Bison just standing by the side of the road lazily chewing his cud.

    Osprey nest on the side of a cliff. It was very large and when you looked you could see the head of a baby bobbing up and down.

    Elk - with its velvet antlers just causally stroll across the road even stopped to scratch itself in the middle of the road.

    As we headed towards home we were a bit depressed we had not seen a black bear when on a hill suddenly there appeared a black bear and two cubs in a clearing between the pine trees.

    Our day had been very fruitful and that doesn't include tbe many Bison and Deer we saw along the way.

    It was a lot of fun but animal spotting is tiring and hungry work so back home for dinner and bed.

    PS The days are so long here 8.45 and it was still nt dark yet.

    Tomorrow San Francisco.
    Read more