Satellite
  • Day 70

    Climate Change

    November 8, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Leaving the LA area was not a particularly pretty ride. large roads and construction explode from the city, leaving spaghetti like tracks in the desert. Eventually the roads became sparse and all that remained was dessert and strip malls. That then became desert and dry mountains; the landscape became beautiful again as I drove further into the Mojave. The temperature increases and there were almost no clouds in the sky. This place is what I imagine when I think of a desert.

    I arrived at Sam's place where he and his girlfriend Diana and her family live just on the boarder of Joshua Tree National Park. Sam and Diana happened to be in the driveway as I drove up so I knew I was in the right spot. We caught up and hung out for the evening. I got to meet Diana's kids Davian and Cassius. Everyone made me feel at home and it was a very relaxing few days. Sam, Diana, the kids and I went out for a hike one day, and we also went to a nearby playground one morning. The playground brought me back; what a fun group.

    After a few days it was time to get back on the road. I left around around 4:45 in the afternoon, and daylight savings had ended without me really noticing, so I only had about an hour to get to my destination and set up camp. I was going to camp in Joshua Tree, but it was too late in the day so I found some BLM land just outside of the park. The sunset in the desert is gorgeous. A few clouds lit up from the disappearing sun and the entire sky was visible. Usually there are buildings or trees or hills or mountains in the way. The sunset in the desert is almost like being in the ocean.

    The next day I rode through Joshua tree. I didn't feel like going for a hike or doing much exploring as the scenery didn't appear to change much and there is no water in the park except at the entrance, so all water needs to be carried. Hiking in desserts doesn't seem to be my thing, so I rode to Red Rocks and Vegas. The ride through Joshua Tree was really nice though.

    Pictures: A view if the San Andreas fault and Palm Springs. Sunset over Yucca valley from BLM land just outside Joshua Tree. My campsite in the morning. Joshua trees in the park.
    Read more