Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Thawing out in bull town

    October 5, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Turns out our impromptu lunch and soccer stop 20 km short of Pamplona is the turnaround point for the local afternoon cyclists. One such friendly Pamplonian (not sure this is correct but it should be) insisted on guiding us into town. Like a good sheepdog he lapped us many times before depositing us at the industrial edge of the city with a “directo, directo’. Being untrustworthy Novacastrians with a fear of cars we did not heed his advice and instead took the Saint Komoot scenic route around the river. Longer but gentler on the heart. Even with the drivers unfailingly avoiding us by at least a metre and a half (often at the peril of oncoming cars) we are still nervous on main roads.
    Pamplona proves the perfect balm for those of us whose solar needs are above average. I have wandered slowly for 2 days amid the hubbub of the narrow streets, the tranquility of the plazas at siesta time, the awesome grandeur of the cathedrals and the quiet of the many parks. Pamplonians (got it in again!) are friendly, full of life and LOUD.
    Tomorrow we head out to the countryside enroute to the Atlantic Coast.
    Read more