Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    The garden path

    October 8, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Saint Komoot sent us up the proverbial creek yesterday. Having never been one to use satnav in the car much, my sympathies we always limited for people bemoaning the failings of their Google navigator that led them off piste into a swamp or down a set of stairs. We’ll, it was our turn yesterday as we farewelled the ritzy plazas and promenades to hit the hills of the Basque coastline. After some increasingly steep concrete paths that we had to zig zag up, even when walking, we got spat out onto a muddy track under the motorway that went nowhere known on any map. After a bit of scouting we opted for a fence hop and brambly bush bash up to the exit ramp of the autopista . Half an hour later we were loaded up again, enjoying the false sense of security that a serendipitous mega witch’s hat gave us, which happened to be sitting idle at our barricade hopping spot. Two minutes more and we were rolling past the toll gates and on our way again.
    I’m trying to be zen about the navigation app. You take the good with the bad. It has certainly given us some fantastic empty roads, and saved us hours of random decision making that would probably have yielded us the same hilarious woes now and then. The flip side is occasionally muttering and cursing the “stupidity” of whatever computer algorithm is shaping our days for us.
    Read more