Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 81–82

    Singapore

    23. März in Singapur ⋅ ⛅ 90 °F

    A smile forms across my face as the shuttle whisks us beneath the super tree grove at Gardens by the Bay. We seek refuge into a cloud forest and flower dome, both enclosed inside the latest greenhouses in the world. Collected rainwater is pumped through cooling systems powered by photovoltaic arrays on the super trees, which also vent hot air.

    We marvel at living buildings, draped in verdant ribbons and which adorn the horizon. All this while intense sunshine and paralyzing humidity grabs ahold of us with clenched fists. In search of brunch, passive cooling strategies are put to the test as we meander experimental urban corridors, made bearable by the induced breeze.

    Gorgeous flavors of Little India dance across our palates but cause perspiration to return, despite ample air conditioning. Michelin menus followed by jaw dropping cocktail menus and Sotol imbued with the essence, and spirit, of a rattlesnake show us what China Town can do. The old, the new, perfect cleanliness, masterful retail, flawless public transport—could Singapore really be the model for cities of the future?
    Weiterlesen