Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 103–105

    Kapama River Lodge (Day 1), Hoedspruit

    April 14 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    Minutes after crossing into Kapama Game Reserve, we spot our first safari prize—a male giraffe. Soon after we encounter Impala then Common Warthog. And this was just our 10 minute drive from the airport to check in. After a late lunch and brief tea, we hopped back in the Land Cruiser to enjoy our first proper game drive. Adventure came swiftly as our tracker picked up the trail of rhinos and leopards.

    We caught up to a mating pair of leopards, who were elusive and understandably intent on keeping things private. Nevertheless, they allowed a few glimpses before disappearing into their underbrush love nest. We encountered Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Spotted Hyena, the rare Greater Kudu, and African Bush Elephant.

    Not yet satisfied, we pulled over to let our eyes adjust to the darkness over a sundowner G&T in the company of bats. Once we resumed, we were treated to a pride of lions cleaning themselves of gore from their warthog feast. Our second day of overland adventure proved quite the success and so we returned for dinner and a sumptuous bath.
    Read more