Satellite
  • Day 9

    The elusive yellow arrow

    September 13, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today’s KMs - 30kms
    Total KMs - 159kms
    Total blisters - 5 + foot rashes

    We left Bilbao by bus to Laredo to avoid the Camino which followed car roads through the industrial areas of the city. From Laredo we caught a ferry across to Santona a beautiful little coastal town known for their anchovies. Passing through the town we saw the bars packed with locals watching the Spain v Australia basketball game. We peaked in to see Australia miss a free throw to put the game into overtime. We still don’t know the result as we had to keep moving. We had a long day planned and the heat has picked up here.

    The Camino path is clearly marked (I’ve attached the official markers which vary depending on the region) however for the most part it is marked by yellow spray painted arrows. As you walk you look forward to finding them, sometimes on a rock, tree trunk, ruin or stone wall. They are your assurance you are going the right way.

    So what happens when one slips pass you... well, we found out! About 3 hours, 12kms, walking on a main road with cars speeding either side of you in the hot sun 🥵. We looked like amateur hitchhikers that didn’t want a lift.

    Needless to say we were hot, tired and very over walking. But we did eventually make it to Guemes, our final destination for the day.
    Read more