Satellite
  • Day 11

    Leaving Saly

    March 30, 2019 in Senegal ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    My 7 days / 6 nights in Saly was very relaxing and refreshing, I spent most of the time on the resort beach just chilling out and enjoying the sea breeze, watching fisher men far off through my binoculars casting their lines and nets, local kids swimming to the canoes parked away from the shore. Tourists in sailing boats and small motorized boats.

    Saly is a good location to relax in, practically no attractions or significant monument to see. Lots of elderly French citizens own houses here and the hotels are full of them. Non French speakers will find it difficult to communicate here although the locals do make impressive efforts and most understand a few words of English.

    Checked out of the hotel at 10:05am, my taxi from Dakar was already parked waiting for me. Had to pay a tourist tax of CFA6,000 (CFA 1,000 per day per person)

    Senegal is a very dusty country, the solar panels for the street lights on the express between Thies and Dakar were all covered up in a thick layer of dust.

    Finally back to Onomo Hotel, Dakar (11:45am) with it's strange shower in the room. I wonder which quack designed the room for them. This time around I sent message ahead to be given a room far away from the smelly part of the hotel.

    Came back from Saly with a cold. The cold sea breeze and room AC finally got to me. Bought Vicks inhaler and in the absence of Actified was sold HUMEX a cold relieve drug with too many don'ts, so I decided not to take the drug and just allow my antibodies fight the cold. So far so good.
    Read more