Satellite
  • Day 4

    Visit to Pirate Beach

    September 18, 2018 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Peter the dreadlocks Uber driver responded to my taxi request, stating that he has problem receiving card payments as such would appreciate if I pay cash for the trip. I agreed with the proviso that it will be the same Uber rate. So off we went. First destination was to Mombasa SGR Terminus, the new train station for the standard guage rail. A magnificent structure built by the Chinese. I bought a 1st class ticket for Saturday to Nairobi.

    From the train station we proceeded to Uhuru Gardens location of the famous Mombasa Tusk erected in 1956 to commemorate the visit of Princess Margarete to Mombasa.

    After snapping some memorable pictures at the most famous tusk, Peter took me to Pirates Beach which is the most famous public beach in Mombasa. We went to the cordoned off Pirates Beach Restaurant & Bar for a Byriani lunch and beer and away from the numerous aggressive hustlers on the beach trying to sell me stuff.

    Pirates beach is lovely with lots of people and one can wade into the water a long distance from shore before getting to the deep part. There were camel rides for offer.
    Read more