Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    8th Nov 2012

    December 11, 2012 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Went to 'flight of the gibbon' in the morning. Was about an hour outside of chiang mai. It was so much fun! Zip lines and platforms in the jungle above the canopy, so miles up in the air! You are always attached to something though, so no danger of falling.

    Whilst you were going round there was information about the jungle- plants/birds/trees and you also saw a family of gibbons! They did a good job of entertaining us, swinging around the trees.

    The funniest part if the tour was in the longest zip line- 800metres. Ben went before me, while he was going the guide said to me 'he's not going fast enough, I think he will get stuck' and sure enough he did! He did a boris. Ben says he almost made it to the other side but not quite and then went backwards so he was back right in the middle of the zipline- and it was ridiculously high up. Ben says he felt all the colour drain from his face! But then the guide in the other side shimmied out and pull him back over, took a while though, would not have liked it myself!

    We had a few really nice people in our group and chatted to them most of the day.

    Saw another snake in the rainforest too- this one was white!

    After the zip lines we had lunch and they gave us a suggestions questionnaire which was called 'please complain'.

    Then they took us to a lovely waterfall- but it was a bit if a climb up to get to the top! But it was worth it.

    So it had been a fun day and then they took us back to our hotel where we had time to shower and change before being picked up for our evening thai cooking lesson.

    They first took us to the market showing us all the different herbs and vegetables. We then had a look around ourselves- there was fried crickets and pink eggs!

    We made 4 dishes each- a soup, noodle dish, curry and side dish.

    The soups were gorgeous but definitely on the spicy side, the noodles were good too but the curries were definitely the best! We made them from scratch, starting with bashing the paste. I made a green Thai curry and Ben made a massaman curry. Think they were the best we have tasted since being here! Blowing my own trumpet a bit maybe! I used 15 chillies in my green curry paste!

    We had a really good time and there were 4 other couples with us, who were all really nice and we had lots of fun together.

    At the end the cooking teacher gave us each a certificate and a cook book with all the recipes in so will definitely try making it again!
    Read more