Satellite
  • Day 16

    Colombres - a long and hot 28kms

    September 27, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Today was a long day and the weather was hot, hot, hot! However, there were lots of pleasant distractions along the way.

    Reflecting on the past few days, the coastal alternatives were amazing and I'd do them again in a heartbeat However, taking a different path can lead to a disconnection from other pilgrims. And since we had already parted company with lots of folk in Bilbao, we've been getting to know a bunch of 'new' people over the past few days.

    As on the Primitivo last year, English speakers are in the minority on this Camino. We were delighted to meet J. from England this morning and to walk with him to San Vincente de la Barquera. He started in Santander and will cross onto the Camino Lebaniego today. He plans to continue on Vadiniense and if his money doesn't run out, he'll keep on walking - perhaps on the Salvador and Primitivo. What a wonderful plan!

    It was also a lovely surprise to see M. from Barcelona who we last saw in the albergue in Markina.

    We're in the Colombres albergue, along with almost everyone we met today. It's a forgettable kind of a place, but we were all much too tired to be fussy. There are about 20 of us here.

    Tomorrow we'll walk to Llanes or Poo. Our big priority will be to find a place with a washing machine!
    Read more