Satellite
  • Day 26

    Camino Day 25

    June 25, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    It was warm and stuffy in the dormitory last night, waking us both in the night. Tracey just got up and went back to sleep, whilst I (most probably upsetting a few people) opened the windows for some air.
    We decided to breakfast in, we had cereal, tea and OJ - making a welcome change from a ‘cafe con leche’ and a ‘napoleon’ (not that I have anything against them, but it’s nice to have a breakfast you are use to).
    Much of the day’s walking was similar to yesterday. Undulating through forests and fields. We saw more Jays today, and a vole to add to the list of animals on our Camino. He was scuttling across the path.
    It was getting warmer today too, that and the fast paced 31km to Santa Irene brought out the aches and pains. One more day after this, we kept thinking... one more day. Weird, after all this time how the last few km’s are taking its toll. The feet are fine, they have got use to the boots and the daily steps. It’s just the rest of the body starting to say enough.
    We passed many on the trail today, with differing sizes of bags and wear to their boots. It was certainly busier. We stopped quickly for a couple of drinks, and slightly longer for lunch. So we ended up passing the same people upto four times today. Some faces we recognised from early on, and others recently in Sarria.
    Tonight’s bunk beds are together, and we both have the bottoms. The Albergue is only half full, So no pressure on the showers - Maybe as we are 2km away from a ‘standard’ stage stop. We are here after 25 days, instead of the guided 34. Not bad going.
    Santiago tomorrow, and the last stamp in our credentials as pilgrims.
    Night, and thank you for your support x
    Read more