Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Day 26 Camino part I

    June 26, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    So, here we are. The last day. All the roads, tracks, hills and flats we have walked - its all come down to this last 23km. We still haven’t mastered the rucksack 🎒 packing, but we are getting there now. A clean set of clothes, and a shave - ready to go.
    We set of around 7:20 and follow the road in and out of forests. Undulating as we go, some rather short and steep (a gentle straight down would have been nice). Passing by a village we decide not to add more onto our walk today to in sake for a coffee now - there is sure to be another village. And there is, but another 4km on...
    The path is good, and a few people are walking it. But then all of a sudden it gets busy, a large school partly of teenagers and teachers pour out of their Albergue. And for the first half of the walk it feels quite crowded.
    From an overcast damp start we walk into drizzle, low cloud and finally fine rain and then rain... Coats and covers on we trudge forward. As we get to the city’s edge we should be able to see the cathedral above the buildings, but it’s covered in cloud and drizzle. We walk through the new town, slowly winding our way up and in; able to take the coat hoods off.
    We made it. 😀 Just around mid day we get to the Cathedral square. Fantastic, 26 days.
    Now, to find the pilgrims office for our Compostela. No shells or yellow arrows to follow for this, and it’s moved from four years ago too. We follow a few backpacks and pick up tourist signs to the office. A queue! As good pilgrims we join the line. Maybe an hour later we come out smiling with our credentials and compostela.
    Now where’s the Albergue- I need a wash and a rest.
    Read more