Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Visting the Community

    February 8, 2023 in Uganda ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    We selected Murchison River Lodge as our accommodations for many reasons- their glowing reviews, their location, the beautiful accommodations. But the thing that stood out to us the most was their mission behind the business. A quick excerpt from the website: “Sustainable conservation combined with the empowerment of the local community is something Murchison River Lodge has, in recent years, spent time focusing on. We offer staff training programs, host a women’s group, work closely with the Ugandan Wildlife Authority and the Ugandan Conservation Foundation and promote local businesses. Never has it been more important to be aware of our impact on the world than now.” They also offer the option to visit the local community and efforts to guests staying at the lodge and you KNOW we said yes!

    We specifically requested to join the women’s group whose purpose struck a chord with us. It is a program for young mothers who have not be afforded the opportunity to go to school. They focus on learning English (reading and writing), math and practical skills (such as sewing) that would open so many doors for them. We quickly ate lunch and rushed off to meet them! When we arrived they stood and began singing a welcoming song and Lisa and I were instantly in tears. We spent almost an hour practicing English together- the months, days of the week, sight reading words, basic greetings (which Lisa acted out with them) and each participant even sang the alphabet song and we all applauded them. Talk about a music teacher and a speech pathologists dream day?!

    Then our friend Immaculate who leads the program asked them each to share their motivation for being a part of the group/learning and translated their answers for us. We all were in tears as they opened up and shared the most moving and inspiration reasons they want to learn. We then got to share words of encouragement that were translated back to them. English is the official language of Uganda it is comprised of over 20 different tribes, each with their own language, so learning English for these women can truly transform their lives and the lives of their children. Just a few examples:
    - In order to advocate for themselves and their children at a hospital.
    - In order to know what their child’s teacher is saying to them.
    - In order to make a living to support her 8 children after their husband past away.
    - In order to run a business and not be taken advantage of.
    - In order to support their extended family and their community.

    What an experience this was. We were deeply inspired by their desire to learn, resilience in the face of hardship and their support of one another. It reoriented my own thoughts around the opportunities for education I and so many Americans have been fortunate to have.

    As we closed, they expressed their gratitude that we came to join them and for the encouragement with many rounds of applause, hugs and their radiant faces. Lisa brought a box of Girl Scout cookies to share and we closed with a group photo ❤️ It was an experience we will never forget.
    Read more