Satellite
  • Day 17

    Chania, Crete, Greece

    August 1, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Late start today. Shipped docked at 12pm. Last night we did a quiz show after dinner with Elvis and Jeanne. We've done something with them the last couple of nights after dinner in the dining room. Last night it was a 70s music trivia. We did pretty good (thanks to Elvis), but didn't win.

    Scorcher today. Was mid 30s but felt like 40!

    We had a guided tour at 12.30pm for four hours starting with a drop off at the waterfront. Beautiful place. Old buildings, restaurants, sail boars, lighthouse and a stunning pier. We wandered for a bit then indulged in a beer (of course) and a seafood platter. At the end of the meal the waiter gave us a tiny carafe of "raki", a wine brandy. Wow, blew our heads off. Was more like vodka than brandy.

    Next stop was a lookout over Chania then off to a monastery of nuns. It was very quaint and small. But was a privilege to be allowed into their monastery. They gave us water and Loukoumi (Greek turkish delight). So nice.

    Overall, Chania is a bit of a sad little place with a lot of poverty and in need of a big clean up. But it's small and the pier area is amazing.

    Then it was back to the ship by 4.30pm. We chilled by the pool with a couple of cocktails. Quiet night. Dinner in the casual dining area then a movie in our room.
    Read more