Satellite
  • 2. Travel Prep

    August 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Those interested in pursuing a venture like this may be interested in the massive planning that took place. If this is not your thing, just skip this step. I’ll try not to bore you with too many details, but here are some of the high points:

    ITINERARY
    o Craig poured over travel books, websites and blogs for months as he created the route for his trip. He had hoped to avoid being on a schedule by just noting points of interest in each town, and staying or leaving as the urge hit him, but the fact that 3-4 other people (some of whom have jobs and schedules to keep) would be joining him along the way, required him to create at least a loose itinerary with dates. Each of us joining the trip know we need to have some flexibility with dates.

    CAR PURCHASE
    o Maximus – (that's what Craig named his new 4Runner TD Pro). This car is in high demand and was not available in Reno. Craig researched availability across the country, made the purchase on line, and ended up flying to Kentucky to pick it up and drive it back.

    OUTFITTING THE CAR
    o This included a roof basket, metal gas cans, winch and winch anchor, front & back dash cams, tilt car alarm, skid plates, sideboards, steering wheel lock, back-up car battery charger, locking lug nuts, tire repair kit, and what appears to be a mini- mechanic’s garage in a huge tote bin.

    BORDER CROSSINGS
    o Craig obtained an international driver’s license, passport pictures for visas, proof of car insurance, and ensured compliance with various customs requirements for each country.

    SAFETY
    o There was significant research on travel blogs and travel advisory sites for advice and guidance, which included having a plan to deal with corrupt policia, carrying extra license plates, copies of driver’s license and passport, as well as equipping the car with the safety and recovery gear mentioned above.

    IMMUNIZATION
    o I got vaccinations for Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Hep A, and Hep B. With a planned visit to Galapagos, I considered a set of rabies shots, but at $400 a pop (3 shots required), I passed on this. Rabies WILL kill you if untreated, but apparently it is a very slow acting venom that is quite curable with after-the-fact treatment. (Fingers crossed this does not become an issue!)
    o Medical travel insurance was obtained just in case something dire occurs that requires one or both of us to be transported back to the US.

    PACKING
    o I think it was surprising to both Craig and myself how quickly the car filled up when we did a trial car packing exercise. With the Kong cooler, the huge tub of mechanical and safety equipment, our 2 large suitcases, the winch anchor, and tubs of extra food/supplies, there was little space for anything else but us. He wasn’t happy when I told him I may need more than one suitcase, but c’mon – a girl needs multiple pairs of shoes and a hairdryer, right?

    SHIPPING THE CAR
    o Although this is yet unscheduled, much research was done on shipping the car over the Darien Gap (which connects Panama with Colombia, and is much too dangerous to drive through), as well as shipping the car back to the States at then end of the trip. The biggest concern is that everything will be stolen out of the car. I’m not sure how this will play out. Again, fingers crossed.
    Read more