Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    74. Bolivia - Roadblocks 2 & a "Coup"!

    November 11, 2019 in Bolivia ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Upon reaching the manned roadblock, we lined up with other drivers who had pulled to the side of the road to assess the situation and decide what to do. A taxi driver pointed out a dirt road on the other side of a farm that we might try. We saw some cars using it to come from the opposite direction, so we and the taxi guy jumped in our cars to try to get there. Unfortunately, the protestors saw this as well, and they ran across the field to block the road before we got there. They were faster.

    We went back to the original roadblock, where Craig grabbed the map and collaborated with some of the locals on alternative routes. The problem with taking a road that is 2 hours out of your way, is that you don't know if it's blocked until you get there. But our options were limited, so we plotted a course and took off.

    The road, if you could call it that, was a rutted out dirt path that ran along a river and farmland. A brain-jarring drive for sure. It lasted for over an hour before we got to a paved road. In the end, we made it in about 2.5 hours.

    Coup d'etat!
    In the meantime, President Morales has resigned from office. Once the military and the police refused to support him against the protestors, the handwriting was on the wall. He is currently fleeing to Mexico, claiming he is not safe in Bolivia. In Oruro, the people are celebrating.

    We hear that the police are now re-engaging to remove the roadblocks, so after a day's rest, we will be back on the road tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    Read more