Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Manta, Ecuador

    March 28 in Ecuador ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    In Manta, our only stop in Ecuador. Warm, about 35 degrees but with a nice breeze. We are about 100km south of the equator, so will be in the northern hemisphere by tomorrow morning.
    Had a morning excursion that included a place where they process Ivory Nuts which are palm nuts that have a core that looks like and is as hard as ivory. They make buttons and stuff out of them. The nuts look like rocks. Also went to a place that makes real Panama hats from a type of palm fibre. Expensive for a good one ($500) but you can roll them up and transport them in a small box or tube. Angela bought a budget end ladies Sun hat. The weaving process looks hard on the back and chest. It looks like having big boots helps. See pictures.
    Finally to a place that makes Hessian cloth and bags but out of agave fibre. The machines they had to make the thread and weave the cloth were amazing. All hand made out of steel angle, hardwood, regard etc. Genius!
    Did also go to a museum but we didn't go in.
    Still amazed at how many people get on the tour bus coughing there lungs and other vital organs up. Not giving a single eff about other people seems to be a big trait on this ship.
    Anyway just had lunch and a strong bow each. Last one was a 500mil can. This was a 330mil bottle. Same price. Who knows?
    Off to Panama City tonight. A day or two at sea. That is our second last stop. I'm beginning to stress about US immigration and airport security but I'm looking forward to the Panama Canal and Aruba where we have some mystery hi octane action in store.
    Geek Fact : A few hundred km east of Manta in the Andes is Mt Chimborazo. Due to the fact that the earth bulges at the equator due to its rotation the peak of Chimborazo is the furtherest land point from the centre of the earth. So if you were on Mount Everest you would be further above 'sea level' but closer to the centre of the earth.
    Read more