Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Ghent, Belgium

    April 9, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    We started off our visit to Ghent with a walking tour of the city centre, guided by a lady named Annamaria. She brought us to a square with a statue of the King that United the Belgium provinces. Surrounding this square, were buildings that were owned by the different guilds. The builders and weavers were starving, so the guilds opened stores in their buildings where the workers could buy food and supplies at a cheaper rate.
    On we walked, over canals and through the streets lined with medieval buildings, until we came to a large castle that was inspired by Morocco. This building is now a museum, but it used to house the king of Belgium who was Spanish. We learned that the north of Belgium is mostly Protestant while the south was controlled by Spain and remained Catholic.
    We walked along the cobblestone streets to the canal lined with historic buildings and then climbed the bridge where we saw the three famous Ghent towers lined up in a row. The clock tower, a church and the Cathedral form a pretty picture that has become the iconic image of Ghent. As we stood in front of the Cathedral, mass let out and the bells began to ring. We had learned that the bells are not rang throughout Lent and the parents tell their children that the bells have gone to get the eggs and chocolate. So on Easter Sunday, they ring joyously and extra long to celebrate their return.
    Read more