Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The most beautiful beaches!

    June 6, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    The benefits of having a driver is we can changed what was planned. Another day of sunshine so we made the best of it by heading to the coast. Donegal is the start of the Wild Atlantic Way. Most popular in the south (where we are heading next week) this part of the WAW is very isolated and sparsely inhabited. With that being said, this is truly God’s country with views and vistas that are some of the most amazing. Pictures can’t capture the true beauty. We started the day early to avoid the crowds at Sleive League Cliffs. A steep hike up to the ridge provided the most amazing views. For a while we were almost alone up on the ridge but headed back to the car for the drive back to civilization- sharp turns on one lane roads with no guard rails. Glad we aren’t driving. As we headed back down the mountain, we saw a farmer cutting and drying his peat. Peat is still used to heat many homes. Watching two old men stacking peat to dry was humbling! Has to be backbreaking process but they do what they have to do to heat their homes. The rest of the day was visiting some of the hundreds of isolated beaches. Wide, hard packed sand, driving on it is quite common, we saw a few trucks with families on holiday. Speaking of holidays, this weekend has been a “bank holiday”. This is similar to our federal holiday schedule (side note: St. Patrick’s Day weekend is a bank holiday here). So it’s been unusually crowded on the roads and restaurants. Rounded out the evening with a stroll through the diamond center of Donegal, dinner and a little pub for some traditional music. Walking back to the hotel at 11pm and the sun was just setting. Great day.
    Tomorrow we head into Sligo and Mayo and to Westport for next two days. Grace OMalley’s home - here we come!
    Almost forgot - a stop in Donegal at Eddie Dougherty’s weaving shop resulted in a few purchases. Eddie was the cutest LOM (little old man) ever! Showed us his set up and we were able to purchase things in his shop. Pretty special to know who made your hat and lap throw.
    Read more