Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Over the Aquaduct

    September 4, 2017 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    The day looked much brighter setting off from Chirk! Not many boaters get up early either it seems and we were all by ourselves going over Chirk Aqueduct and then into the Chirk Tunnel. The aqueduct is 70 feet high and beside it is a 100 foot high viaduct. A lovely warmup to the big event later in the morning. Goodness that tunnel is so long, about 1377 feet to be exact, which doesn't sound like much but took ages to go through. Very eerie too in the early morning with the mist rising off the water!

    The day was brightening up nicely and we came to the Pontcysylite Aqueduct built in 1805, 125 feet high and spanning a 1000 feet across the valley. I was just praying that they really did build things to last back then, cause it didn't seem like there was very much keeping us up there.

    It's a eerie feeling floating across this skinny little waterway so high up and only a thin metal railing on one side. Not that I looked down that side I was firmly planted on the walkway side. Even Graham got a bit freaked out I think.

    Another couple of hours cruising through a really pretty section of the canal and some really narrow one way sections we arrived in Llangollen. What doesn't sound anything like it's spelt, which seems to be a feature of most of the Walsh language. I don't know how the kids ever get the hang of it!

    Llangollen is a really pretty little town with some cute shops even a couple of op shops, lots of pubs and the gorgeous River Dee running through the middle of it. We parked up in the marina and then headed into town for lunch. Don't think we've had a bad meal since we got here and today didn't disappoint either.

    Took the bikes off after lunch and headed up to Horseshoe Falls. Glad we had the bikes or it would have been a bit of a hike. It's not really a waterfall at all but a weir to feed the canal from the river, so a bit disappointing really. But we called in for a drink at the Chainlink Bridge and enjoyed some beautiful views of the Dee River thundering past and watched the steam train stop across the river, so not a wasted trip.

    Rode back down to the boat and had an hour or so chat to the neighbours, who are farmers and their narrow boat is their escape for a few weeks and weekends a year. Now off to find some dinner. Ha ha must seem like all we do is eat and drink but really that is one of the best parts!
    Read more