Satellite
  • Day 32

    Student Blog - Helena and Izzy

    July 24, 2018 in Slovakia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    As we write this, you find us on the coach once more, on the way to Bratislava for the next part of our epic adventure - tour 2018. As of today we have performed three superb concerts, seen three gorgeous towns and experienced Czech hospitality at its finest when putting up with our fumbling attempts at Czech!
    Our journey here was long but surprisingly enjoyable, filled with bleary-eyed service stops and one am twister games (we were heavily judged by the brass) and some entertaining sleeping positions! Our hotel in Olomouc was perfect - it had comfy beds and that was enough for us!
    Our first concert was held in the Archbishop’s Palace in Kromeriz which, and I think I can speak for all of of, was a stunning venue to perform in! The acoustic was incredibly resonant which meant the brass needed to tone it down - especially in Romeo and Juliette when it hit the back of the hall like a sledgehammer - we didn’t want to deafen the audience just yet! They loved Vltava and gave a standing ovation, which made us feel so proud!
    For choir, it was the perfect acoustic to sing Whitacre’s Sleep - it was a performance none of us will forget!
    This was similar for the next concert in the KD Elektra Concert Hall in Luhacovice where Andy Johnson beautifully performed the tuba concerto by Vaughn Williams to a very impressed Czech audience! (from our vantage point in the 1st violins, we could see lots of Czech nodding) and the choir performed the whole Mass in Blue for the second time this year. It was an absolute success and Brigith and Millie did a fabulous job, everyone was so impressed! Orchestra played Cowboys which was a very popular choice and we all love playing that one - its definitely a highlight!

    By this point, we were all feeling tired but satisfied and happy, our performances had run smoothly and the ovations were loud and long. Our third and final concert (for now!) was in another stunning location - the Jesuit Church if St. Francis in Skalica.
    It was picturesque inside and out and the sun made the church seem light and spacious. As we arrived we were very taken with the plush velvet armchairs thy made up the first two rows and the veiny, marbled rock in the decor. Scheherazade was the new addition and the solo parts, played by Jade, resonated beautifully in the high ceiling of the church. The unaccompanied songs sung by choir were also perfect for the acoustic and the solos by Lauson and Libby in ‘And So It Goes’ and ‘Shenandoah’ respectively were both beautifully sung and carried to every corner of the church. We had a lovely dinner in a local hotel and began on the long drive back to Olomouc. (Big Thankyou to our coach drivers!)

    From the students we would like to say Thankyou to all of the the staff who have come with us, with special mention to Mr Kirkwood for organising the whole trip and working on it for effectively the whole year, Mr Roper for conducting orchestra in all our concerts and rehearsals and taking on Mr Green’s pieces, as I know those pieces would be sorely missed; and last but not least to Ms Hodgson for taking the choir; she is an inspiration and has very good programme-choosing skills! I know I can speak for us all when I say, tour would not be the same without you and we are all extremely grateful!

    Helena Thomas and Izzy Annandale
    Read more