Satellite
  • Day 34

    Staff Blog - Corinne Malitskie

    July 26, 2018 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Why would sane, intelligent instrumental music teachers agree to staff a cyo/cych concert tour? There is much to lose in giving up more than a week of your life to this cause, such as sleep, holiday time, good food, early nights, single rooms, free time, lie-ins, oh, and did I mention sleep? The gains? We get to spend over a week with 119 incredibly talented young musicians, some singers, some players and some that are both. They cope admirably with the gruelling journey that can only be likened to the never ending story and put up with ridiculous wc queueing experiences at 2 or 3 am. They appear for breakfast at the agreed time, assemble at the appointed hour fully equipped for departure to some far-off concert venue , all with smiles on their faces and manners that would make their parents proud! Did they ever moan, complain, object or protest? Certainly not. ( I won't mention here the request to have a few independent hours in town on the last night ) . The concerts were without exception successful. Glorious music played and sung in beautiful venues. Whilst the conductors basked in the glory, weighed down by bouquets and compliments, the rest of the staff took the opportunity to improve their stand-folding and weight- lifting skills. Musical skills? Not exactly, but necessary. Except of course, for the supremely talented, willing and very very able Mr Johnson who was able to rehearse and perform both a virtuosic Tuba concerto and a fiendish jazz keyboard part in Mass in Blue IN THE SAME CONCERT. The van crew need special thanks as they were vital to the tour success and never lost their sense of humour. I could continue this for hours but my phone battery is not going to play ball ( luckily for you). So, in conclusion I feel very fortunate to have been allowed to share the joys and hardships with our 119 amazing young people and my very special NMPAT colleagues. There were many tears shed on the final night. We will return n September to a fresh orchestra and choir but Tour 2018 will remain in our hearts forever. May all our leavers have a happy and successful future. Remember to come back and visit your old friends from time to time .
    All the best wishes from Mrs Malitskie!
    Read more