Satellite
  • Day 26

    Tanami Desert Crossing WA back into NT

    July 13, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    After leaving Wolfe Ck Crater we topped up on fuel at the Aboriginal community, Billiluna. It took some keen orienteering and a stop to ask for directions, to find the fuel bowser. After reading the messages, including the one to look out for the rogue camel who likes to corner people so he can kick and bite them, we fueled up (2.60L) and headed towards Alice Springs. We saw the camel as we were driving out. ..he was most indignant we had slipped by without him noticing and made a futile charge towards the car as a parting gesture.
    We made good time considering the wind, road was wet and gentle rain continued to fall. Then you won't believe what we saw!! 2 men on heavily ladened touring cycles, around 70 years old, pedalling in the opposite direction! So much so that it became apparent we could make the next Aboriginal community, Yuendumu, by sunset. Our map said food, bed, police...all manner of services. The sunset was spectacular but no time to stop for a photo as we had cows and roos to content with for the last 30klms which slowed us down; Combined with state time changes, we crept into town at 6.40pm in the dark...past the $7.6m police facility looking once again for the fuel. The "shop" (read house with a bowser out front, advertised they were open till 8pm but with no signage or street lighting, dogs, car wrecks haphazardly placed...we once again asked for directions. After several drive bys, a man flagged us down and offered to sell us the fuel (2.16L). He had to bang the bowser with his hand to get it to start but after some chatting he informed us there wasn't accommodation or food to be purchased and we'd just need to head back out and pitch our tent off the highway. Which we did! Temperatures plummeting, wind gusts increasing, we slept fitfully and resumed our trip with Alice only 300klms away and a hot shower and delicious brekkie to look forward to. It was a good test for our tent, which we have been very happy with thus far.
    Read more